Glasses are a great accessory and even those people who don’t need to improve their vision are incorporating glasses into their fashion toolbox. The key is to select the style carefully to flatter your face, colouring and style. Specsavers Opticas have put together the following advice to help you look your best in glasses.
Consider your face shape - Different style glasses will suit different face shapes, so make sure you know your face shape before you shop and choose your styles accordingly. Here’s a rundown of face shapes and the best styles for each:
- Oval - Be adventurous as this shaped face suits almost all frame shapes.
- Rectangle - Consider a wide frame with a strong top line. Avoid small square shapes and try a frame style with all-over colour
- Round - Consider angular or geometric styles as they draw attention to the top half of the face. You should avoid oval or round shaped frames
- Square – Consider oval frames as they soften the jaw line. Avoid angular frames as these will emphasise the angular facial features.
Take into account your colouring - There are so many colours and materials to choose from that it can be hard to know where to start. By choosing colours that match your hair colour and skin type, you can find the glasses which complement you perfectly.
- Dark brown - Try metal frames in antique silver or gold colours, as well as softer browns. Avoid pastels or very dark colours and heavy styles.
- Black - Try any of the metallic frames, especially simple shapes and colours. Avoid bright colours unless you want to make a strong impact.
- Blonde - Try lightweight styles with delicate colour effects. Experiment with colours that add warmth to your skin tone. Avoid dark, heavy styles, cold colours such as blues and greens, and light-coloured metals. If you blush easily, avoid pinks and amber.
- Dark grey - Try lighter coloured metal or plastic frames. Avoid heavy dark frames.
Specsavers Opticas’ staff can help you choose the right frame, colour and style to suit you.